Accelerator Scientist (Research Associate)
About this job
- Company & location
- Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, United States
- Doctorate (PhD/DPhil/DEng/Dr.-Ing.)
- Last updated
- Feb 13, 2017
Cornell Laboratory for Accelerator Sciences and Education
The Cornell Laboratory for Accelerator-based Sciences and Education (CLASSE) is a world leader in accelerator science and its applications. It pursues research projects in accelerator science, including (1) design, construction, and commissioning of a multi-turn energy recovery linac (ERL) with FFAG optics, (2) upgrade of the 5 GeV CESR storage ring for single beam operation with undulators as a source of hard x-rays, (3) high brightness electron sources, (4) development of instrumentation and beam physics experiments with the CESR Test Accelerator (CESR-TA), and (5) SRF accelerating structures.
The successful candidate will focus on CBETA, the ERL currently being constructed at CLASSE by developing beam optics, accelerator equipment or beam instrumentation, and by participating in commissioning and operations, but may also contribute to one or more other activities.
• PhD in physics or engineering, with a background in one or more of the following: electrodynamics, high power RF technology and sources, electron beam physics, beam instrumentation.
• Demonstrated experience with experimental systems.
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to direct technical support personnel.
• Experience working successfully as part of a team in a collaborative and multidisciplinary scientific environment.
• Familiarity or ability to quickly learn safety practices relevant to radiation generating devices.
The initial appointment is for three years with the possibility of extension.
Applications should be submitted at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/8866l and should include a cover letter, a CV, a list of publications, a detailed summary of research experience and interests. Applicants must arrange to have at least three letters of recommendation uploaded, as per instructions on the academicjobsonline website. The starting date is negotiable.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.